Thursday, August 07, 2003

Sin as Sin

"A sin is a sin, granted, but is there a difference between a lifestyle of sin and committing a sin?"

What's that mean? Really is it truth or just something we've inherited through out time? Sure it's easy to define those sins that are "lifestyle" sins, for instance check out this list in 1 Corinthians 6:9&10

"Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God."

These verses seem pretty clear about who will not enter the kingdom of God, but beyond that it seems that we all live a "lifestyle of sin". Honestly, if I take a deep hard look at who I am, I realize that I am the second worst sinner that ever lived, and in saying that I only put the Apostle Paul ahead of me b/c he says that's so in the Word of God. So, while I maybe pursuing holiness, I'm still living a life of sin (and if you think you're not, check again, you maybe missed that pride). Now check out 1 Cor 6:11
"And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

Now my question is what about those who are "washed, sanctified & justified". Can they still live as these things, or does Jesus come in and transform a life so much so that they're not involved in this stuff? If he doesn't, what hope is there for someone drenched in sin? Finally, if they aren't changed, then are they really Christians, or just decieved? Maybe Paul doesnt' mean everyone who participates in these activities, but rather the ones who do so with an arrogant self righteous spirit.

Dusty's dream for the church is right on with scripture (see Acts 2, James 5.16), so what's holding us back? Maybe the fact that we're so afraid to let the world see what Christ has saved us from. Maybe it's that we're too proud to even admit that we were once anything, but clean.

What's all this mean? I'm just trying to express the fact that I think we all live that lifestyle of sin, and for us to distinguish the difference may be the same as qualifying which sins are the worst. Isn't a lifestyle of sin nothing but a bunch of sins added together throughout one's life? You see the Gospel isn't about me being who I am today, it's about me being who I was and who I will become because I have been washed, sanctified and justified in the name of the Lord Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home