I'm feeling state-o-centricEveryone will not be able to relate to this list because most of New Belgium's specialty brews are not available outside Colorado. That doesn't matter to me.
TOP 4 SPECIALTY/SEASONAL NEW BELGIUM BREWS
1. Lafolie - Miller High Life calls itself the Champagne of Beers, but it is filled with grossitude. The real champagne of beers is Lafolie. At 30 bucks per wine-sized bottle, it is actually like Champagne, but beery. Before you think I'm living on the high hog, you better recognize that I only drank this at the brewery this past year for free. Free tastes of 30-dollar beer. That's right. They age it in cedar casks for three years. First prize at the Belgium Beer Festival in it's class. It beat out all the brewers from Belgium at being Belgian. It's like Sour Warheads in beer form.
2. 2 Below - The winter brew this year is a cornucopia of hoppy flavors. What a delicious explosion of things I don't understand.
3. Bier de Mars - This was available late winter '06 and it was a nice little transition from winter to spring. Named for its red hue, it deserves the 3 spot if only for the sweet Mars on the top of the tap at the brewery. Plus it's very tasty and unique.
4. Skinny Dip - The summer ale this year was sort of a mix between Sunshine Wheat and Fat Tire. So it wasn't super-original or as good as the previously mentioned brews on their own. But it was a nice smooth ride down the amber slide of love next to the Southmoor Park pool on hot summer days.
5. Saison - This was the autumn brew that was a lame attempt at an Oktoberfest beer. It tasted like the Pumpkin flavored Blue Moon. Blue Moon is owned and created by Coor's, so it is terrible by default. Thus, this was easily the worst NB brew of '06. Eat that criticism, Peter Bouckaert.
I guess this doesn't leave much room for criticism, because it is totally right, and because most of you have probably never put these tasty treats to your lips. So I guess, post counter-lists of great seasonal micro-brews for your area...if you're into that. It's your call. I don't care. Damn.