Friday, December 02, 2005

Russian Squirrel Pack "Kills Dog" !!!!

"A pine cone shortage may have led the squirrels to seek other food sources, although scientists are sceptical."



i know that given my location and lifestyle i ought to be using my short and precious internet time to post on deep issues here or on my blog, but instead I thought i would post this most amazing story. Not just the idea is amazing but all related aspects of the story and the actually telling of the story and the people interviewed. I wish i had covered this story. Plus did you realize people actually lived in this part of russia? Maritime territory? Scientists? Russian Squirrel Pack? Kills dog?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4489792.stm

The end of the story is definetly the best:

"If it really happened, things must be pretty bad in our forests," he added.

Komosmolskaya Pravda notes that in a previous incident this autumn chipmunks terrorised cats in a part of the territory.

A Lazo man who called himself only Mikhalich said there had been "no pine cones at all" in the local forests this year.

And something totally different but more important

In a completely inappropriate add on to this post(as is most of my life, vastly inappropirate contradictions) please pray for CPTers kidnapped that Jake mentioned below (although there are four not 1). I know these two pictured below. Tom Fox was present at my training, and James Loney was one of our trainers, and who its seems to me is a completely amazing man, active in both Iraq against the war and in Canada working for first nations peoples rights (you know, injuns).

My friend Justin who also works in iraq, but is currently in cyprus, tells me that situation is looking up and numerous arab political and activist groups (ecspcially those whom cpt has assisted in palestine) have issued public statements and on al jazeera asking for their release. Justin's blog has some good information about it and is a good read about iraq in general with some good links too.

http://www.justinalexander.net/

also of course www.cpt.org has information. Please pray. Like all organizations CPT has problems and weaknesses but these are people trying to live out the gospel.

1 Comments:

At 12/02/2005 4:02 PM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

what the hell has happened to the BBC?

everyday there is now some or many ridiculous stories on their main news page. I remember when I started going to their site to get real news. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love all of the animal stories. (here's todays great one about a homecoming cat: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4491716.stm)
I also love reading awesome headlines like "AIDS crisis is a 'real concern'" or other ridiculous headlines I can't remember right now. Anyway, it sounds like BBC has some awesome new dudes working there. I'll try to keep a log of awesome headlines...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home