Tuesday, October 24, 2006

We are all Gnostics in Disguise!!!

Even though Jake has problems with him, and I've never read any of his books I'd like to comment ever so shortly on Brian McClaren. I sometimes, mostly out of compulsion/boredom, still read Jim Wallis, and his new blog God's Politics. There I was directed to McClaren's website, and found he has written a new book The Secret Message of Jesus.

Listen, I'm tired of this quasi-gnostic junk. I'm happy he wrote a book about social justice, because he will be reaching a unique and large audience. It's good to get the Good News out. But why call it secret? Just cause it will sell a few copies?

Jesus' message of healing, liberation, and salvation is not secret. It's written all over the scriptures, and was proclaimed by the prophets before the time of the N.T. Just because we fail to hear and see Jesus' message does not mean it was kept secret -

It means we are deaf and blind.

4 Comments:

At 10/27/2006 11:18 AM, Blogger Joey said...

Maybe he is using irony. You know, because (here comes a generalization!) evangelicals don't preach social justice even thought it dominated Jesus' language and life actions. I don't know what his intentions were but I have read a few of his books and I would bet he is calling it 'secret' because it is anything but and Christians need to stop acting like only liberals care about poor people.

 
At 10/27/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger erica*ann said...

sarcasm?

 
At 10/28/2006 12:16 AM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

hi. give me a couple of days and i'll write a review.

 
At 10/30/2006 7:12 PM, Blogger adam said...

Thanks for the comments, I appretiate your thoughts Joey and your word Erica. I get the irony, I'm not sure I'd call it sarcasm, but I can see that too.

For what I know the premise of the book is that yes Jesus had a number of teachings and actions that portray a message of justice. The early church got this, and between the first century and the later middle ages this was 'lost' or hiddent away. He is now making it known for a new audience.

I know he knows its not really a secret. But I still think it's dumb, and ever so slightly harmful. Why, because it perpetuates (in a small way) a stupid myth.

There is no secret message of Jesus, and there's no secret knowledge to uncover. Are there things we need to understand better, yes. Are there mysteries we will probably never understand, again yes.

I suppose I would just prefer a title like, 'Get off your lazy butt, and live like Jesus did.' Yet, that sounds more like a Tony Campolo book, doesn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home