Thursday, August 24, 2006

Laughing at Science

On this sad, sad day when my all time favorite planet has been kicked off the list, I am focusing all of my rage at one man. But first, let me just point out one of several problems with this decision. What am I going to do about my pneumatic tool to remember the planets? Previously, I could think "Many Visual Examples Make Jake Sikora Understand New Problems" but now what? Further, I don't see why in the world adding more planets, the other proposal, is not a much better option. Instead of less planets we get more, opening the possibility for many more sci-fi channel original movies.

If you are looking for someone to blame, as I'm sure you are, I suggest blaming this man, Sir Patrick Moore.

Fearing absolute chaos, wherein every stray piece of mass in the solar system would become a planet, Sir Patrick Moore expressed grave concern over the possibility of adding three more planets instead of getting rid of Pluto. His presence in a CBS news report on the topic has made for one of the more memorable moments in TV news for some time. Thankfully, the clip can be found here on YouTube. Go check it out.

Schieffer, who I am just hoping goes full on Howard Beale before handing over the Evening News post this fall, could not contain himself when he saw the piece live on the air. Laughing at astronomers! Yes! Of course Schieffer is right, Moore is insane, or at least looks like it, but apparently Shieffer has never seen The Sky at Night, the popular science show from the BBC where Moore talks endlessly in insane ways.

For now, it seems as though it is Moore who is having the last laugh, science has insisted on being lame and removing one planet instead of adding three. Meanwhile, I encourage everyone to watch Schieffer every night before he is off the air. Last night he laughed about their being a patron saint of real estate. He can't help himself!

1 Comments:

At 9/06/2006 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only have one thing to say about the loss of pluto and that is: "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home