Sunday, October 30, 2005

Something they can agree on?

In our never ending attempts to find something that James Dobson and Hugo Chavez can agree on, I thought today was going to be a day of success. In his weekly TV and radio show, Chavez banned Halloween, saying it is foreign to the South American way of life. His concern was based on his observation that "Families go and begin to disguise their children as witches." In Halloween he sees the US manipulating the world through a game of terror, "putting fear into other nations, putting fear into their own people".

Upon reading this story I was immediately excited about the possibility of getting Dobson and Chavez on a common position. Before writing a post about this, I thought I'd quickly search out Dobson's stance on Halloween to confirm my belief. What I found was somewhat horrifying:
While condemning the occultic connections to Halloween, "
Even here, however, there is a place for some harmless fun. Kids love to dress up and pretend. If the Halloween experience is focused on fantasy rather than on the occult, I see no harm in it. Make costumes for your children that represent fun characters, such as Mickey Mouse or an elderly grandmother, and then let them go door-to-door asking for treats."

How about Jimmy James defending having "a little harmless fun"? It's sort of great to see the communist Chavez better representing the ultra conservatives. Also, is anyone else surprised to hear Dobson defending Disney? Isn't Focus against them for Gay Days and hiding pictures of penises in their movies? Anyway, perhaps there are underlying motivations to their positions. Apparently Chavez may be motivated to ban Halloween because their were some anti-government jack-o-lanterns put out and Dobson is apparently motivated by his free-market love of "fun characters" like Disney. Anyway, here's some pics for your trick or treating fun.

9 Comments:

At 10/30/2005 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is completely off topic but it really spoke to me in the midst of transition......

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/god_article.php?id=6998

 
At 10/31/2005 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dobson's always been all about "a little harmless fun". Let me refrence Jimmy James book called Preparing for Adolecents. If you "search inside" on Amazon you will find that on page 83 & 84 this quote...

"It is my opinion that [masturbation] is a not much of an issue with God... I'm not telling you to masturbate, and I hope that you won't feel the need for it, but if you do it is my opinion that you should not struggle with guilt over it.
Why do I tell you this? Because I deal with so many Christian young people who are torn apart with guilt over masturbation: they want to stop, they just can't. I would like to help you avoid this agony... Talk to God and decide what he wants you to do."

Maybe we've missed what JD is all about. Seems to me that a common theme for this guy is "If it feels good, and it doesn't hurt anyone else why not give it a go."

My guess is even Chavez can get down with that.

This one's for Venezuela!

 
At 10/31/2005 8:22 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

Ummm...I thought it was Pat Robertson that had issue with Chavez?

 
At 10/31/2005 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh right... I can never tell those vocal religious leaders apart.

My bad.

 
At 10/31/2005 10:09 AM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

True, Pat is the one that wants to kill Chavez, but I've been wanting to get Chavez and Dobson together so that there could be a bridge made between chavez and evangelicals. Plus, Pat and his cronies aren't nearly as fun about this issue, offering a web poll of "Do you celebrate halloween?" and the options being "yes, it's harmless fun" and "no, it's demonic." Can anyone say false dichotomy? what about "no, i'm homebound" or "yes, i love candy" or "no, i'm a halloween scrooge." All of the 700 club stuff on halloween I could find was bland and not written by Robertson. So, Dobson's claims seemed helpful enough.

Hey Andy, I forgot all about how Dobson was so down with masturbation. I think these are good examples of his psychology background. Also, perhaps he would support dressing up for halloween as a child to avoid "dressing up" as a woman or something when a man gets older? Get my drift?

 
At 10/31/2005 10:34 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

So with Dobson--- I can masturbate and celebrate Halloween...Plus, still go to Disney Land when I visit Brian...

Will he let me swear occasionally? Sweet, you just show me where to sign!

Peace

 
At 10/31/2005 6:51 PM, Blogger Bryan Karas said...

who the heck dresses up as their elderly grandmother?

 
At 10/31/2005 7:22 PM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

one time i dressed up as a skeleton which more or less was like dressing up as my grandmother....

or

one time i dressed up as a drunk hobo which is....oh that's just wrong.

 
At 11/12/2005 10:35 PM, Blogger Liza said...

I'm so glad you linked to that Disney Dick. I have to admit, I'd never seen it before. So could Jimmy be advocating gays and cross dressing here all the while glorifying a Satanic holiday? I mean, what if our little boys want to dress like their grandmothers? Ok, Timmy, cause uncle Jim said it was a good idea- don't forget the partial plate!

I like where this is going. One of these days James will do us all a favor and just come out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home