Thursday, September 15, 2005

Oh Me, Oh My....

Although Oh Me, Oh My was the name of Devendra Banhart's first CD, it would be fitting for this one even more. Cripple Crow is out, the only thing that could have possibly have shaken my focus on such a sacred week as this. It reminds me of Holy Week my junior year of high school when I still wanted to be spiritual. I was devoting myself to fasting and prayer every day until Alexa Rittichier decided she wanted to be my girlfriend and my career as a spiritualist was destroyed forever because of my new career as a fleshly earthy womanizer...what was I saying anyway?

SO, those of you who have heard me yell and scream about Devendra before have heard nothing yet. One step away from the album that will redifine/save rock and roll, Cripple Crow is the bridge album. This is Bob Dylan just before Highway '61 Revisited, when he started to play the electric guitar and began to rip everyone's chests open, then pull their brains out through their eyeballs, and then put the whole world back together even better than it was before....only better....or at least way different and more more....i don't know what to say...JUST LOOK AT THE COVER ART FOR CRYING OUTLOUD. These are real people folks, all of his friends....Why don't I have friends like this? Devendra is front and center, the guy who's face you can barely see. And I'm pretty sure that Joanna Newsome, my future wife, is featured in the front row, the woman all the way on the right.

And yes, the second to last song is apparently about a hermapherdite and the chorus does say that there are so many boys that he wants to marry but forget about that ok? Please? My brother did, and he doesn't like swears or dirty songs. Please buy this. at least do it for me. Because soon I will grow my hair past my waist line, grow a beard just as far, and disapear forever into Hippy paradise with DB and his band of heros...Did I mention that this is the happiest anti-war CD since Build an Ark? It's not just about anti-war, it's also about sweet Mamma Wolf, Trees, Waves, and has lots of songs in Spanish.

The only really good and worthy review of this amazing record is on PopMatters.

Oh and let's organize the world's greatest package for Paco since I'm a total ass for not going to visit him anymore. Ideas?

3 Comments:

At 9/17/2005 9:35 AM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

Hey Bryce! Glad you love DB now. I think there's some sort of connection to BD but I"m not sure where to make it...Where BD took a turn to the transcendental DB seems to go further and further into the menial, exposing the beauty in these things. But I did mean for the conncetion to Dylan's picking up the electric guitar and Devendra doing the same. You are the man Bryce, hope you can make it to the show.

 
At 9/23/2005 8:23 AM, Blogger Jeff BBz said...

you should include some sweet sweet stuff in that package and you should send it soon before i am no longer able to access its sweet contents.

 
At 11/07/2006 1:17 AM, Blogger Jemimah said...

strange to find my name here...hope things are well in your part of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home