Thursday, January 20, 2005

Dobson Strikes Again...

Hey guys, one of my RAs forwarded me this article...I think it is important to take this to heart.

After all, we aren't born A-gay, we are Born Again...Thanks Saved!

Conservatives Pick Soft Target: A Cartoon SpongeBy DAVID D. KIRKPATRICK Published: January 20, 2005
ASHINGTON, Jan. 19 - On the heels of electoral victories barring same-sex marriage, some influential conservative Christian groups are turning their attention to a new target: the cartoon character SpongeBob SquarePants.
"Does anybody here know SpongeBob?" Dr. James C. Dobson, the founder of Focus on the Family, asked the guests Tuesday night at a black-tie dinner for members of Congress and political allies to celebrate the election results.
SpongeBob needed no introduction. In addition to his popularity among children, who watch his cartoon show, he has become a well-known camp figure among adult gay men, perhaps because he holds hands with his animated sidekick Patrick and likes to watch the imaginary television show "The Adventures of Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy."
Now, Dr. Dobson said, SpongeBob's creators had enlisted him in a "pro-homosexual video," in which he appeared alongside children's television colleagues like Barney and Jimmy Neutron, among many others. The makers of the video, he said, planned to mail it to thousands of elementary schools to promote a "tolerance pledge" that includes tolerance for differences of "sexual identity."
The video's creator, Nile Rodgers, who wrote the disco hit "We Are Family," said Mr. Dobson's objection stemmed from a misunderstanding. Mr. Rodgers said he founded the We Are Family Foundation after the Sept. 11 attacks to create a music video to teach children about multiculturalism. The video has appeared on television networks, and nothing in it or its accompanying materials refers to sexual identity. The pledge, borrowed from the Southern Poverty Law Center, is not mentioned on the video and is available only on the group's Web site.
Mr. Rodgers suggested that Dr. Dobson and the American Family Association, the conservative Christian group that first sounded the alarm, might have been confused because of an unrelated Web site belonging to another group called "We Are Family," which supports gay youth.
"The fact that some people may be upset with each other peoples' lifestyles, that is O.K.," Mr. Rodgers said. "We are just talking about respect."
Mark Barondess, the foundation's lawyer, said the critics "need medication."
On Wednesday however, Paul Batura, assistant to Mr. Dobson at Focus on the Family, said the group stood by its accusation.
"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organization is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," he said. "It is a classic bait and switch."

9 Comments:

At 1/21/2005 1:19 AM, Blogger jonny said...

I've never really even understood what the phrase "bait and switch" means, so I have no idea what Mr. Batura is saying. On another note, welcome Adam! Three cheers.

 
At 1/21/2005 10:56 AM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

In an effort to keep MM as fair and balanced as Fox News, I did a little research on the issue. Although you can no longer view the "We Are Family" video on the web site, you can view the Tolerance Pledge. Dobson's point was that the video featuring Sponge Bob (and every other children's character, it's like a dream!) was being shipped out to schools with the Tolerance Pledge. Here it is:

"Tolerance is a personal decision that comes from a belief that every person is a treasure. I believe that America's diversity is its strength. I also recognize that ignorance, insensitivity and bigotry can turn that diversity into a source of prejudice and discrimination.

To help keep diversity a wellspring of strength and make America a better place for all, I pledge to have respect for people whose abilities, beliefs, culture, race, sexual identity or other characteristics are different from my own."

So, technically, Dobson is right and the author of this article participated in a bait and switch of his own (whatever that means) by making Dobson look insane when he actually was acurate, at least regarding the pledge. Whether or not the video is pro-homosexual, well...that's another issue. Further, whether or not Christians should be so opposed to pledging respect to people is further removed. But we must be careful to seek the truth and not simply to make Dobson look like an idiot.

 
At 1/21/2005 12:54 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

The validity of the article to me was not the point at all. My problem with it is that Dobson makes himself look stupid everytime he speaks. In this instance, he jumped on board with Jerry Falwell due to his unnecessary need to HATE gay people.

So, I guess I was already jumping to conclusions 2 and 3 of your comment Jake.

By the way, Capturing the Friedmen's was really good. I found Jesse's email on line and sent him one, so I will let you know if I get a response.

 
At 1/22/2005 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

joey said........

wow that doesn't look near as cool as everybody elses, oh well.

Mike-Steve directed me to some Pat Robertson quotes that just downright amazed me.....I can't imagine somebody saying some of the stuff he has said. This is unrelated isn't it? Well, anyway here is a link (one of many) to some of the dumbfounding things o'l pat has said...
http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/7027/quotes.html

 
At 1/24/2005 11:10 AM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

Dusty said:
"The validity of the article to me was not the point at all."

Sorry, I forgot we're blogging here, all desires to seek truth and represent others fairly is out. I'll do better next time. Otherwise, we're in agreement.

 
At 1/25/2005 6:48 PM, Blogger Liza said...

Hey there friends. Though I currently reside in Colorado Springs, where Jimmy and his buddies call home, I still admit to having a midwest mindset.

Let's just look at this biblically a moment. I don't remember when Jesus ever told people to hate other people. Satan is bad, and pharisees are worse, but I don't remember the part in the beatitudes when he said "Blessed are the haters, because this proves their righteousness is superior to everyone else."

I think Jimmy and Jerry and buddies are insane. I could go further than that, but I won't. What this means, onward Christian soldiers, is that our biggest enemy during our lives on earth will be misinformed, ridiculous Christians. Not goths, punks, crazy homeless people, or KKK members- even some of those people are pretty scary. It definitely raises the bar on authentic Christianity, however, which almost ironically makes me want to thank them.

 
At 1/26/2005 6:08 PM, Blogger Dusty said...

No, Jake, I don't believe what is most ridiculous about the article is whether Dobson is being discredited untruthfully. Even if what he claimed to be truth is the truth, I still find it repulsive. Nothing in the statement as he thought it was deserved to be ripped like he did. Which gets to your conclusions after the "truth" element. I think to be scared of homosexuals trying to take over the world and other mindsets like that are not what Jesus was about, and that is whay my problem was with Dobson in this manner. I am glad that he was telling the truth, but I was not trying to claim him as a liar. Respect for people is not brainwashing...

However, thanks for the sarcastic attack on me. Sweet!

 
At 1/27/2005 3:45 PM, Blogger Jake Sikora said...

Dusty: no problem, whenever possible i will do so. I get your point, and agree, of course. Of course we all think hating gay people is stupid, and hating anyone is unlike jesus. of course. I also happen to think that misrepresenting people and using it as a way of gunning down people we don't like is equally stupid. I am not accusing you of doing this, more so the people who wrote the article. Let us continue to not hate gay people but let us also continue to represent people fairly, responding to their positions as they actually are, that's all i'm asking. Now that I see what a little, distant defense of Dobson and Co. gets you, I'd like to announce my subscription to Focus on the Family newsletters and my signing up for the 40 Days of Purpose coming up at Willow Creek. And Campus Crusade, off my brother's recommendation.

 
At 1/28/2005 9:09 AM, Blogger Dusty said...

After all that you may actually become a Christian!

Peace

 

Post a Comment

<< Home